For Potential Clients: My intention is to hold space for your endless possibilities of change. By guiding you towards experiencing more confidence, calmness, clarity, and compassion, you can find the wisdom already within you. When life presents hardships, I hope you are able to access what is already within you, and you do so more easily and frequently. Then this can lead to a more kind and loving relationship with yourself and others.
Furthermore, I hope this page gives you a sense of clients I have been successful in providing therapy to, and some of my limitations as a therapist. I am the therapist you work with when you already have some skills in managing your symptoms and daily life. Our work together can help you heal unresolved experiences or emotions and make lasting changes in yourself and in your relationships.
In due time, and when you feel comfortable, we will explore the underlying causes of your current feelings, behaviors and circumstances. We will discuss my approaches and see what interests you. My typical session structure is:
- The first 5-10 minutes you may tell me what you feel is important for me to know since I last saw you.
- Then you name what you would like to focus on.
- Because the majority of sessions are focused on healing, I generally don’t give assignments.
- Once in awhile you may want to spend a session talking only and not do healing work. This is your choice and it’s up to you! While doing the healing work may seem scary or intimidating, you get to control how deep we go and at what pace. Most people feel a sense of relief or better after talking or venting, but may not experience long-term benefits or change. My best work is when I guide you in healing.
- In doing healing work, the goal isn’t to heal 100% – I don’t know that that is humanly possible. Healing work allows you to return to peace or contentment, or yourself and the other in your life more quickly, and stay there longer.
Life Experiences I Work With:
Ages: I work with individuals and couples in their 30’s to 70’s. While I don’t work with those younger than 18 years old, see below for information.
Crisis: For those who experience regular crisis or emergencies, suicidal tendancies, or psychosis, I am not a good fit. I am only available for phone calls and emails during regular office hours and it may be up to 48 hours or longer before I am able to respond. Therefore, I cannot provide services for those who experience crisis regularly or emergencies, require communication outside of regular office hours, or on-call services for emergencies. To work with a therapist who can assist you, contact Mercy, Unity Point, or Abbe Mental Health Center.
If you are in crisis now, please contact Cedar Rapids area Foundation 2 at 319.362.2174 or 800.332.4224, chat online foundation2crisischat.org. National text or call 988, chat online. Or go to the nearest emergency room.
Addictions: No one says, “I want to become an alcoholic…shopaholic…self-harm…involved in abusive relationships.” Underneath painful behaviors like addictions or abuse of self or others, are painful losses and wounds like neglect or unresolved trauma. Together, we work on building the capacity to address and resolve the underlying pain; therefore, numbing is less necessary.
In the event I determine you need a higher level of care, I will refer you to a local treatment center:
Therapists and counselors with CADC credentials are specialized in treating substance use disorders.